[RFC] Fixing the QT_QPA_PLATFORM dilemma

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Oct 11 15:11:48 UTC 2017

Am 2017-10-11 11:23, schrieb David Edmundson:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On martedì 10 ottobre 2017 19:35:43 CEST Martin Flöser wrote:
>>> Based on that we can detect whether we are on Wayland and could
>> pick the
>>> Wayland platform (and should check whether the QPA plugin is
>> installed).
>>>
>>> The only problem is how to do it:
>>> * our platform theme plugin is too late :-(
>>> * kdeinit could be an option - random Qt apps would stay on XCB
>>
>> +1 to going trough kdeinit, any known drawbacks?
>
> I don't understand how kinit helps with anything.

What I was thinking of was using the kdeinit_executables. There we have
some code which can be run before the main is executed. This would not
work for all applications but at least for things from Plasma.

Personally I'm not sure anymore whether it's the best idea to try to
force all Qt applications to Wayland. Overall I have the experience that
the xcb plugin still works better for many Qt applications even on
XWayland.

So what I was thinking of is:
  * get flatpak to work (on it, just need to arc diff the remaining
changes)
  * adjust kdeinint_executable to detect the real platform to handle
things like startkde
  * have everything else run on xcb platform if it has to be
  * maybe add an API which makes it easy for apps to opt-in, though I
think going flatpak would be the better solution for apps

It would allow us to have a multi-phase transition.

Cheers
Martin