Plasma 5.12 goal: let's get Wayland ready!

Martin Flöser mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Oct 10 19:40:14 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I want to put out a development goal for the Plasma team for the
upcoming 5.12 cycle: let's get Wayland ready!

The last two weeks I saw two blog posts by two different Plasma members
showing screenshots running X. That disappointed me. I hoped that we all
are running Wayland already and working on getting it finished for our
users.

So I want to ask every one of you to start doing all development on
Wayland. Use it as your daily driver. Use it for hacking, gaming,
browsing and whatever else you do on your system. But use it!

Don't find an excuse for yourself, just use it. If there is a show
stopper: fix it or report a bug!

If we all just use Wayland and report and fix the bugs we run into I'm
sure that 5.12 will be an awesome release on Wayland.

So please help to make it happen! If we as devs don't use it we will not
switch in five years. We need to push for it, we need to try it. We need
to show that we are using it, by for example showing screenshots with
the wayland icon instead of the X icon in window captions and similar.

Let's get that done and fixed!

Cheers
Martin