[RFC] Fixing the QT_QPA_PLATFORM dilemma

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Wed Oct 11 09:23:23 UTC 2017

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 11:01 AM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> On martedì 10 ottobre 2017 19:35:43 CEST Martin Flöser wrote:
> > Based on that we can detect whether we are on Wayland and could pick the
> > Wayland platform (and should check whether the QPA plugin is installed).
> >
> > The only problem is how to do it:
> >   * our platform theme plugin is too late :-(
> >   * kdeinit could be an option - random Qt apps would stay on XCB
>
> +1 to going trough kdeinit, any known drawbacks?

I don't understand how kinit helps with anything.

There are two ways apps get run from the .desktop file.

Either you're going via klauncher, kdeinit sets the env and spawns
telegram, and you still have the problem
Or you're not, and you inherit the env of the parent process (i.e
plasmashell), and you still have the problem.

Sure, it fixes with launching it via a terminal (without kwrapper5), but
then you could just add --platform, and it will break just as much.

David