KWin contextmenus usability and window/app specific palettes

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 10:08:54 UTC 2017

Hi,

I've mentioned an issue where the window context menus drawn by QtCurve do not adopt a new colour palette correctly when I change a window's or application's palette from the session default.

This happens both when I use a window or app KWin rule and when I change the application palette in an application (e.g. KDevelop). In the latter case the window titlebar colour changes to follow the selected palette, so I deduce that KWin detects the change and applies a dynamic form of an app-specific palette rule.

What happens is that the contextmenu background is not changed, only the item (QAction) text is, but only in the contextmenus shown by KWin. When I change the entire application palette the application's contextmenus render correctly.

This appears to be due to some interplay between KWin and QtCurve which I'd like to address.

3 questions that seem relevant:
- does KWin indeed handle an in-app palette change as a dynamic app-specific palette rule?
- where in KWin's source is this rule implemented (the actual palette change)?
- is there anything that makes KWin's window contextmenus different from other context menus in other applications?

Thanks,
René