Plasma Vision v 2.0

Jens Reuterberg jensreu at kolabnow.com
Sat Jun 10 07:28:38 UTC 2017

You are a man of my own heart! :)

Beautiful is the core ideal of "venustatis" - I just went for "interesting"
because beautiful has become so... depricated in English usage (or modern/
western usage). Almost like a pejorative. In practice beauty contains
"interesting" as well so thats why I went for that as a go-between.
A sort of city planning idea where beauty is the thing that drives people to
want to explore something - a slight bend in a road so you can't see down it.
An inexplicable park placed between houses to entice you.

For me, and to Vitruvius, beauty was the thing in any design that gave the
user pleasure and need to be near it. A object or construct needed to be
stable and durable, then it needed to be usable by a human, designed by human
metrics - but then it also needed to be pleasurable to be near ("pleasurable"
has a completely different context now so I didn't use that - don't want us
blocked in security-filters on search engines :) )

I would more than happily change it to "we design to be beautiful" I just
worry that it sounds negative? But if you and others think that would be
better - I would LOVE to change it to "beautiful"

Oh also here is the phabricator task https://phabricator.kde.org/T2070

/Jens

PS: And although I know this is a plasma-devel list I would love to discuss
the concept of crafts-vs-arts in regards to your definition of beauty as
"lacking function" (or functionalism/brutalism) - perhaps that is for another
time?