Plasma Vision v 2.0

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Jun 13 09:30:10 UTC 2017

On zaterdag 10 juni 2017 09:28:38 CEST Jens Reuterberg wrote:
> You are a man of my own heart!
>
> Beautiful is the core ideal of "venustatis" - I just went for "interesting"
> because beautiful has become so... depricated in English usage (or modern/
> western usage). Almost like a pejorative. In practice beauty contains
> "interesting" as well so thats why I went for that as a go-between.
> A sort of city planning idea where beauty is the thing that drives people to
> want to explore something - a slight bend in a road so you can't see down
> it. An inexplicable park placed between houses to entice you.
>
> For me, and to Vitruvius, beauty was the thing in any design that gave the
> user pleasure and need to be near it. A object or construct needed to be
> stable and durable, then it needed to be usable by a human, designed by
> human metrics - but then it also needed to be pleasurable to be near
> ("pleasurable" has a completely different context now so I didn't use that
> - don't want us blocked in security-filters on search engines  )
>
> I would more than happily change it to "we design to be beautiful" I just
> worry that it sounds negative? But if you and others think that would be
> better - I would LOVE to change it to "beautiful"
>
> Oh also here is the phabricator task https://phabricator.kde.org/T2070

How about "elegant" instead of beautiful? For me, it encompasses even more
positive aspects we strive for.

Also, I'd remove the total in total trust as it could be seen as us shifting
responsibility to the user, for example in picking excellent defaults.
Moreover, total doesn't actually add a lot here, at least IMO.
--
sebas

http://www.kde.org | http://vizZzion.org