Plasma Vision v 2.0

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Fri Jun 9 09:10:11 UTC 2017

Jens Reuterberg - 09.06.17, 09:40:
> We build to be durable, we create to be usable, we design to be interesting.
[…]
> Reasoning behind the vision:
[…]
> Finally its the poetic vitruvian line at the end: Firmitas, Utilitas,
> Venustatis. That something is "well built" or "durable", that something is
> "usable" (from a users perspective easy to use) and finally "beautiful" or
> interesting to use - inspiring usage. Build/Create/Design is intended not
> as  work roles ("designer" etc) but something we all do ("designing the
> system" for example).

I´d like to see the word beautiful in the vision or a word that more clearly
indicates that beauty is part of the vision.

Why? Cause I believe utility is not everything. If something is just useful,
but not beautiful, I believe something is missing. As… in the other way around
as well an application is just beautiful, but basically unuseable.

You have it in "design to be interesting"… but for me "interesting" just does
not mean beautiful. I am not completely sure whether "beautiful" would be the
right word. What came to my mind was also:

"we design to be engaging."

But that might also miss an important aspect.

For me beauty has two aspects:

1. One is beauty without function. In nature, if left alone, or carefully
cared for, all that lives tends to create beauty. It doesn´t seem to do so to
reach a certain goal, at least not solely, but it (also) seems to be the pure
joy of expressing itself – of course you can call this a goal as well – to me.

2. Beauty that engages. In the terms of a work environment this would be
beauty that actually makes it a joy to work with the environment.

Of course these are overlapping each other.

I definately see roam for the second aspect in Plasma, but also… for the first
one.

Thanks,
--
Martin