[Differential] [Commented On] D4215: Make notifications execute the "default" action on click.

Martin Klapetek noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Jan 20 18:47:21 UTC 2017

mck182 added a comment.

  > I have never considered unpredictable on Android that when I press the "new e-mail" notification I get the e-mail client with the new e-mail.

  On Android, you close the notification by swiping to a side. On Plasma, you close the notification by clicking it. On Android, you execute action by tapping the notification. Now with this, on Plasma, you execute the action by also clicking it. In other words, the same mouse gesture is used to either close the notification OR execute an action and you have no way of knowing which one will happen. See the problem now? You cannot really compare these two because Android has clearly defined behavior with unambiguous gestures.

  > With the addition of the default action, notifications can do something more than "being acknowledged": they can execute some code. But after doing so, they also close. The behaviour is consistent: notifications that the users has noticed and reacted to go away, as they already accomplished their goal.

  That's what I'm against - clicking the popup currently only closes the notification. I want to be sure it _only_ closes the notification. I don't want to play a guess game every time a popup shows up - "will my click _only_ close it or will this now open the mail window (which I don't want)"? Therefore the behavior is _not_ consistent. It is closing vs executing action AND closing. And the user has no idea when will happen what.

  So as Thomas says, the closing-on-click either needs to go away or just make the default action a button. We've always had buttons in the notifications for actions, this would only be consistent with what the users have learnt in our DE and what they expect. I don't see a reason to change that, especially because the button is labeled and it's always clear which action is going to happen.

  Think of Spectacle - you take a screenshot, you see a notification that it was saved. You click the notification with default action - what do you think it's going to happen? Is the image going to be opened? Is the file going to be opened in file browser? Will this show a dialog allowing to share the screenshot? This kind of ambiguity makes me think that having a clearly labeled button would be a better option. Even a combo - have a highlighted button which is always on top of the actions list and when you click the popup, you will know it will execute the first/highlighted action. This could work even without a default being set, simply highlight the first action button and clicking the popup could then always execute the first action. So this patch would just ensure that the default action is put on top.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace

EMAIL PREFERENCES