[Differential] [Commented On] D4215: Make notifications execute the "default" action on click.

Albert Vaca Cintora noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Jan 20 18:04:33 UTC 2017

albertvaka added a comment.

  It looks like the explanation on the commit message lead to confusion about the "two different behaviours" thing. Let me explain it a bit more.

  First of all, note that notifications always close when you click them, in both cases. The notification disappears because it already fulfilled it purpose of notifying the user. Of course, right now notifications never have a default action, so closing is all they do.

  With the addition of the default action, notifications can do something more than "being acknowledged": they can execute some code. But after doing so, they also close. The behaviour is consistent: notifications that the users has noticed and reacted to go away, as they already accomplished their goal.

  I think every other notification system that you might have used follows the same principles, even though in most cases there is always a default action set.

  I agree some users might think: "I clicked this notification hoping it would open the app, but it didn't, and now I have to open the app myself". For notifications where it makes sense to launch the app (eg: IRC messages), I think we should encourage app developers to always set a default action to do that. Unfortunately, there has to be a transition period until this happens.

  From the point of view of the notification, though, I think that making them go away is what makes more sense after the user has already noticed them and by clicking them they communicate to the notification that its goal is fulfilled.

  If after this explanation, you still think the same way, the alternative is to make notifications that don't have a default action only go away by clicking the "X" button, but then I think it will be more inconsistent: if I click a notification as a way of acknowledging it, sometimes it will go away (after executing the default action), and other times it will stay there.

REPOSITORY
  R120 Plasma Workspace

EMAIL PREFERENCES