Plasma 5.8 Errata

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Tue Sep 13 10:43:21 UTC 2016

On 13.09.2016 12:22, Martin Graesslin wrote:

> Sorry, but I have seen enough bug reports set to critical and priority very
> high by the user. As long as users can modify that we will have stupidly set
> up bug reports.

Wait, ordinary users can change the priority field??? That makes literally _no_
sense at all (for any project).
Shouldn't we just get the access rights fixed, then? It's a no-brainer to me.
>> For such a process to work well, it would make sense to triage all bugs, set
>> the priority field and then filter for e.g. VHI. Or the alternative would
>> be to just change the severity field if you disagree with the reporter.
> Yes that is the "ideal world". Reality is: you triage the bug, adjust the field
> and user changes back. (Including when I move the component). Or it triggers a
> discussion of "why did you set it back to normal, that is critical". And then
> you waste your time explaining.
Users being able to change the priority field is just a bug in our access rights
setup.
Triggering discussions, oh well, that is just unavoidable in an open project,
and publicly saying
"Nope, we won't change that" is better communication than just silently ignoring
people.

> This process is broken beyond repair as long as users are able to change these
> settings. Sorry that I sound so negative, but I have a huge amount of open
> bugs and a huge experience. Bugzilla is in that regard - at least in our setup
> - a total failure for projects with large amount of bug reports like KWin and
> Plasma.
>
> In that regard our bugzilla instance is unable to help us prioritize any bugs
> or to manage them properly.

Indeed. I wasn't aware that users were allowed to change the priority field. I
will file a sysadmin ticket to fix this.