Plasma 5.8 Errata

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Sep 13 11:32:50 UTC 2016

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 12:43:21 PM CEST Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On 13.09.2016 12:22, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> > Sorry, but I have seen enough bug reports set to critical and priority
> > very
> > high by the user. As long as users can modify that we will have stupidly
> > set up bug reports.
>
> Wait, ordinary users can change the priority field??? That makes literally
> _no_ sense at all (for any project).
> Shouldn't we just get the access rights fixed, then? It's a no-brainer to
> me.
> >> For such a process to work well, it would make sense to triage all bugs,
> >> set the priority field and then filter for e.g. VHI. Or the alternative
> >> would be to just change the severity field if you disagree with the
> >> reporter.>
> > Yes that is the "ideal world". Reality is: you triage the bug, adjust the
> > field and user changes back. (Including when I move the component). Or it
> > triggers a discussion of "why did you set it back to normal, that is
> > critical". And then you waste your time explaining.
>
> Users being able to change the priority field is just a bug in our access
> rights setup.
> Triggering discussions, oh well, that is just unavoidable in an open
> project, and publicly saying
> "Nope, we won't change that" is better communication than just silently
> ignoring people.
>
> > This process is broken beyond repair as long as users are able to change
> > these settings. Sorry that I sound so negative, but I have a huge amount
> > of open bugs and a huge experience. Bugzilla is in that regard - at least
> > in our setup - a total failure for projects with large amount of bug
> > reports like KWin and Plasma.
> >
> > In that regard our bugzilla instance is unable to help us prioritize any
> > bugs or to manage them properly.
>
> Indeed. I wasn't aware that users were allowed to change the priority field.
> I will file a sysadmin ticket to fix this.

The problem is not the priority field. The problem is the process. This is all
extremely frustrating if you have a large number of bugs. Having a priority
field is nice, nobody uses it and it won't save bugzilla. The process is
broken.

We have no chance to properly triage bugs because users can change the
components. We have discussions whenever we change the severity, we will have
discussions if we would use priorities. This is derailing, time consuming and
just a sign of a broken process. Over the last 365 days 547 bugs and 42
feature requests were reported against kwin (plasmashell is at 2495 new bugs +
158 feature requests). Those bugs (in case of kwin) were handled by two
persons. Do you think we care about priorities? We are glad enough if we don't
get drowned in the amount of bugs we get in. From these 500 new bugs perhaps
50 are valid and actual bugs which need fixing. Everything else is duplicates,
driver issues, user support, misconfiguration, misunderstanding of features,
etc. etc. The process is broken beyond repair.

Cheers
Martin