Plasma 5.8 Errata

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Sep 13 10:22:42 UTC 2016

On Tuesday, September 13, 2016 12:09:26 PM CEST Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> On 13.09.2016 07:52, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> > On Monday, September 12, 2016 12:55:22 PM CEST Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> >> I've copied over the 5.7 Errata page for 5.8
> >>
> >> Do we still have issues with Intel GPUs?
> >>
> >> Are there still freezes with Qt 5.6?
> >>
> >> Are the bugs marked critical still critical?
> >
> > I looked through them and none of them is IMHO critical. The state was in
> > all cases selected by users and as we know: just because a user things
> > something is critical doesn't make it critical ;-)
> >
> >  From the list I would suggest to not look at it for the next release. It
> >  just>
> > doesn't make any sense as long as users can mark bugs as critical.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Martin
>
> That's why there is both criticality (set by the user) and priority (set by
> the team).

Sorry, but I have seen enough bug reports set to critical and priority very
high by the user. As long as users can modify that we will have stupidly set
up bug reports.

> For such a process to work well, it would make sense to triage all bugs, set
> the priority field and then filter for e.g. VHI. Or the alternative would
> be to just change the severity field if you disagree with the reporter.

Yes that is the "ideal world". Reality is: you triage the bug, adjust the field
and user changes back. (Including when I move the component). Or it triggers a
discussion of "why did you set it back to normal, that is critical". And then
you waste your time explaining.

This process is broken beyond repair as long as users are able to change these
settings. Sorry that I sound so negative, but I have a huge amount of open
bugs and a huge experience. Bugzilla is in that regard - at least in our setup
- a total failure for projects with large amount of bug reports like KWin and
Plasma.

In that regard our bugzilla instance is unable to help us prioritize any bugs
or to manage them properly.

Cheers
Martin