[Differential] [Updated] D3200: Add a widget gallery page to the Dashboard.

hein (Eike Hein) noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Nov 1 12:36:43 UTC 2016

hein marked 2 inline comments as done.
hein added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> davidedmundson wrote in DashboardRepresentation.qml:101
> I don't get why we are we creating this dynamically? and why on hover?
>
> I assume it's because WE is costly?  and doing it on hover makes it seem faster?
>
> but this code has a quirk that if you hover and then click (a fairly common pattern) you'll actually be creating this component twice.
>
> A Loader with: active: activeTab == 1 || hoveredTab ==1 would be ideal and more declarative.

Good catch thanks, fixed in follow-up commit.

About not using a Loader: I need guaranteed ordering between the component instanciation and reset() being called in onActiveTabChanged, but I'm also instanciating on hover, when calling reset() is inappropriate. Using a Loader and Component.onCompleted isn't good enough, because the handler wouldn't have the "why" information needed to decide whether to call reset() or not. Ultimately going procedural was a tad easier here, even if it suffers the decentralization cost.

> davidedmundson wrote in DashboardRepresentation.qml:156
> It's better to just adjust Widget Explorer if we need to add functionality into WidgetExplorer
>
> Doing something like this is the sort of thing that's going to unnoticeably break in the future when someone re-arranges those categories.

Agreed, will look into it (I didn't like it much while writing ...).

> davidedmundson wrote in DashboardTabBar.qml:30
> for every mouse move you have two of these being emitted in sequence
>
> one from the old tab, one from the new tab.
>
> Can you be guarantee what order that happens in?

Yeah, the leave/enter ordering is reliable and unit-tested in Qt (I remember from working on the hover code in Qt Quick).

REPOSITORY
  rPLASMADESKTOP Plasma Desktop

EMAIL PREFERENCES