plasma-desktop on other environments (bis)

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat May 28 12:54:19 UTC 2016

Martin Klapetek wrote:

So the apparently generic categories that concern application error, crash etc.
do not control the way those notifications are delivered if you aren't running a
Plasma session?

Mind you, we're not only talking about the sounds here.

> That's not entirely correct - KMessageBox sounds (through KNotification)
> are handled by frameworkintegration still and some events are in fact

Yes, I think I noticed that, and it seems a logical place to provide that kind
of integration (and also efficient to provide a central "hub" for integration
with the host).

> used by other frameworks directly, that's namely Trash, Textcompletion*
> and beep (indirectly through KNotification::beep()).
>
> That said, I believe that on OS X it should use OS X sounds instead of
> these outdated sounds we still use. In other words, ship custom .notifyrc

I guess there must be a generic Qt beep that one can tap into to replace beep,
but for the others I really have no idea. OS X has a limited set of notification
sounds of its own, but here too applications (or application frameworks) that
provide their own set of notification types provide their own mechanism to
configure these (if at all).

There's a sound for emptying the host trash, but I have never seen it among the
options for the system beep as far as I can remember. The KDE trash is stored in
the host trash, but in such a way that it can be emptied independently (emptying
the host trash also empties KDE's trash, by contrast). Given that distinction I
would find it confusing to use the same sound for both empty actions.

> for message box events on OS X. It really really really really *really*
> shouldn't
> use the Oxygen sounds by default.

I honestly don't know. Sounds used for notifications that have a native
counterpart could use the native default sound by default (or the one configured
if it's feasible to obtain that information). But what about notifications that
are specific to KDE and that use specific notification sounds? It seems more than
reasonable to use that KDE sound. Even more so than with look and feel that will
be beneficial for cross-platform users. After all alert sound specificity is
supposed to aid in determining what's going on and how to react. If there was no
point in that we'd still be using simple beeps for everything.

At the moment I can only think of a few examples. Adium, a multi-protocol IM
client that is a native port of pidgin. It provides its own customisable sound
themes rather than using system sounds and notification settings. More or less
commercial IM/VOIP applications like Skype and Viber provide the same sounds on
all platforms where they exist, at least for their specific events.

Where and how exactly are the default sounds configured?