plasma-desktop on other environments (bis)

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sun May 22 21:28:03 UTC 2016

David Edmundson wrote:

>> > It then grew to include some GTK settings and backporting stuff to KDE4.
>>
>> What backporting stuff?
>>

> As we have KDE apps using kdelibs4 this also saves some settings to
> ~/.kde4/kdeglobals as well as the new place.

Ah, yes, indeed. I see that now in the source.

> I hope by now it's redundant, but I'm not sure.

In what way would it be redundant? Do KDE4 applications read in the QSP-based
locations nowadays? Also, I thought there was the idea to keep the settings
separate?

BTW, does this mean that one shouldn't run the KDE4 and KF5 systemsettings on
the same machine (when they can be coinstalled, e.g. when KF5 is in its own
prefix)?

> Not quite. This writes the colours out into the file
> ~/.config/Trolltech.conf

Right, I don't know where I thought I saw output to kdeglobals.

> Qt used to load that as a fallback for loading kdeglobals.

If I understood correctly it was more Qt's version of kdeglobals combined with
certain settings from all Qt4-based applications. Something they indeed got rid
of with Qt5.

> Which platform plugin are you using?
>
> If the platform plugin doesn't load anything, it seems it will use
> qt_fusionPalette() which is hardcoded.

Most of the time I use my version of the KDE platform theme plugin (now as a
scratch repo under rjvbb/osx-integratin). It acts as a proxy to the native
platform plugin. I'll have a look what the native plugin does, but it stands to
reason that it will use an appropriate palette. Not from Fusion I think; that
has a kind of beige window background which we don't get on OS X.
Doesn't KDE introduce a number of palette elements of its own, like for text
elements, and which don't have a Qt equivalent?

R.