plasma-desktop on other environments (bis)

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Sun May 22 22:14:41 UTC 2016

On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 10:28 PM, René J. V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> KDE4.
> >>
> >> What backporting stuff?
> >>

> > As we have KDE apps using kdelibs4 this also saves some settings to
> > ~/.kde4/kdeglobals as well as the new place.
>
> Ah, yes, indeed. I see that now in the source.
>
> > I hope by now it's redundant, but I'm not sure.
>
> In what way would it be redundant? Do KDE4 applications read in the
> QSP-based
> locations nowadays? Also, I thought there was the idea to keep the settings
> separate?
>
> I'm hoping it's redundant because most apps are ported.

> BTW, does this mean that one shouldn't run the KDE4 and KF5 systemsettings
> on
> the same machine (when they can be coinstalled, e.g. when KF5 is in its own
> prefix)?
>
> > Not quite. This writes the colours out into the file
> > ~/.config/Trolltech.conf
>
> Right, I don't know where I thought I saw output to kdeglobals.
>
> It takes a pointer to it to copy out from kdeglobals.

> > Qt used to load that as a fallback for loading kdeglobals.
>
> If I understood correctly it was more Qt's version of kdeglobals combined
> with
> certain settings from all Qt4-based applications. Something they indeed
> got rid
> of with Qt5.
>
> > Which platform plugin are you using?
> >
> > If the platform plugin doesn't load anything, it seems it will use
> > qt_fusionPalette() which is hardcoded.
>
> Most of the time I use my version of the KDE platform theme plugin (now as
> scratch repo under rjvbb/osx-integratin). It acts as a proxy to the native
> platform plugin. I'll have a look what the native plugin does, but it
> stands to
> reason that it will use an appropriate palette. Not from Fusion I think;
> that
> has a kind of beige window background which we don't get on OS X.
> Doesn't KDE introduce a number of palette elements of its own, like for
> text
> elements, and which don't have a Qt equivalent?
>
> Yeah. "KColorScheme". That ends up opening kdeglobals directly.

aha - and this is how you're ending up with the right colours.
A palette can also come from the qstyle:
http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qstyle.html#standardPalette

Both the breeze and oxygen style (via kstyle) set the application palette
to the one from the color scheme hence you end up using kdeglobals *if* you
have one of those two styles set.