plasma-desktop on other environments (bis)

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Sun May 22 20:27:55 UTC 2016

On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 9:01 PM, René J. V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> David Edmundson wrote:
>
> > KDE Resource Database.
> > It then grew to include some GTK settings and backporting stuff to KDE4.
>
> What backporting stuff?

As we have KDE apps using kdelibs4 this also saves some settings to
~/.kde4/kdeglobals as well as the new place.

I hope by now it's redundant, but I'm not sure.

> I have a bit of a dilemma here, which results from the fact that MacPorts
> also
> provides a whole range of GTk applications, a number of which I happen to
> use
> ... with the QtCurve/gtk2 and oxygen-gtk3 themes. From what I understand,
> the
> export of the KDE colour palette choice is handled by krdb.cpp. Is that
> correct?
>
> yes.
I'm not convinced how much works.

What I cannot determine so easily is whether it does more than that. Isn't
> applyQtColors() responsible for storing the palette colours into
> kdeglobals,
> from where they're read by the KDE platform plugin theme?

Not quite. This writes the colours out into the file
~/.config/Trolltech.conf
Qt used to load that as a fallback for loading kdeglobals.

A quick grep seems (unsurpsingly) this doesn't have an effect on Qt5.

> If so, that seems a crucial feature. I just checked: removing the Colors:
> categories from my kdeglobals and changing the ColorScheme key didn't
> change the
> colours of newly started applications (my regular colour scheme is
> hand-tuned to
> match the native colour scheme at least as far as window colours go).
>
> What colours are used when the platform plugin (khintssettings) doesn't
> find
> either any Colors: categories or a ColorScheme string (and the default
> .colors
> file isn't available)?

Which platform plugin are you using?

If the platform plugin doesn't load anything, it seems it will use
qt_fusionPalette() which is hardcoded.

David