Your requirements for distributions

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Thu Mar 17 10:58:00 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,
as most of you probably know, recently we have started KDE's Distribution
Outreach Program [1]. One of the goals of that program is to help
distributions in creating an environment where our software works best.

To do that, we must of course first know what kind of environment that is. For
this, I have started an Etherpad [2] to collect information from you on what
distros should do to make our user's experience the best.

This can be anything which improves the experience but cannot be defined in a
cmake file, from kernel modules that should or should not be loaded, to file
systems or I/O schedulers known to work well or not so well with our software,
graphics drivers (for which cards should proprietary drivers be recommended,
for which open-source ones?), udev rules, login manager settings and whatnot.

I've called the Etherpad "Requirements", but you can put mere recommendations
in there, too, of course.

Whenever you think "I'd wish distributions would do X, this would make things
so much easier for us", please put that X into the Etherpad.

I'm not subscribed to kde-devel, so if you have any questions or comments I
should know about, please CC me.

Thanks,
Thomas

[1] https://dot.kde.org/2016/03/03/announcing-kde-communitys-distribution-outreach-program