two exceptions for string freeze in Plasma

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Wed Mar 9 15:33:04 UTC 2016

First of all, I don't have a strong opinion on generic names - name
the stuff whatever you want to!

> [...]
>
> I find this whole discussion rather backwards. I could address the concerns by
> coming up with some random bullshit name, putting that in the Name= field and
> putting "Info Center" into GenericName= then. I still don't know which
> (actual, not constructed possible future) problem it would solve other than
> putting one of the unfounded concerns to sleep. I do know some new problems it
> creates, though. Of course it also adds a lot of work.
>
> I simply don't want to waste my time discussing things that lead nowhere, and
> so far, this thread strongly resembles this, while almost entirely ignoring my
> initial question.  I'm leaning towards just ignoring further discussion on
> this and accepting that we keep the wrong "KDE" usage in Plasma 5.6 because
> apparently we prefer bickering over getting our shit together. Yes, this is a
> frustrating experience.

The issue is rather theoretical: By claiming a generic name other
desktop environments may want to use or may even use already in their
UI, it creates confusion (especially in software centers) over what
the right "Info Center" application is. It also makes it a bit harder
to google for answer "Mediaplayer is crashing when playing file X! -
Which Mediaplayer? The one used in KDE, GNOME, MATE, ...". In software
centers you might have five different apps called "Mediaplayer" or
"Photos" etc.
That's pretty much the reason for wanting specific names like "Plasma
Info Center".
It's just something to keep in mind to not overdo it with generalizing
names. For the particular case, I think "Info Center" is fine (there's
no other tool named like this). Please don't make the binary name
generic too, though ;-)

>> P.S: Sidenote: Could people please add Summary= fields to .desktop
>> files too?  This is the No1 reason KDE apps are rejected for
>> inclusion into AppStream at time
>
> First time I hear of the Summary field, may warrant telling more people about
> it. Which .desktop files need it, for example? (If you answer, you may as well
> create a new thread, in this thread, it's about as off-topic as it gets and
> given the depth of the emails in this thread, it will likely not be read by
> many people at this stage.)

Heh, you probably haven't heard of it because it's actually the
Comment= field in .desktop files, but called "summary" in the
AppStream spec. Basically, if you don't define a summary in your
metainfo file for AppStream, you must at least have a Comment= tag in
your desktop file.
I will add a check for that in the AppStream validator soon even when
there is no AppStream metadata present, and also raise the issue again
on the ML.

Thanks!