two exceptions for string freeze in Plasma

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Mar 9 16:24:57 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, March 09, 2016 16:33:04 Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> That's pretty much the reason for wanting specific names like "Plasma
> Info Center".

It's not about Plasma, it shows info about distro, hardware, graphics, etc.
It's pretty much a dumping ground with multiple vague use cases. Looking at
the code, one thought I got was "this was probably written by someone who
thought 'ah, I can add this semi-useful feature in just half an hour' without
thinking of long-term technical debt". Very much "just because we can", not
very thought through as a whole.

> It's just something to keep in mind to not overdo it with generalizing
> names. For the particular case, I think "Info Center" is fine (there's
> no other tool named like this).

Indeed. My change was not trying to get a generalized policy implemented, but
to fix the wrong use of the KDE brand. We do have people telling us that
they'll happily use KDE to refer to the desktop because we don't even use it
consistently ourselves. My change addresses this consistency issue.

> Please don't make the binary name generic too, though

I don't want to change the binary name, never considered that.

Can we please bury this tangent now? :)
--
sebas

Sebastian Kügler    |    http://vizZzion.org    |     http://kde.org