two exceptions for string freeze in Plasma

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Wed Mar 9 14:25:01 UTC 2016

> [...]
> I'd like to address your feedback and come to a solution everyone is happy
> with, but for that, please provide suggestions what to use instead, and don't
> just point out "that's bad", because the previous naming was wrong, and the
> current isn't (AFAICS), so it's not an option to just revert, I'd rather fix
> it.

The Freedesktop .desktop spec has a GenericName= key, which is exactly
for the purpose of allowing to display generic names in menus if
necessary. Values for GenericName might be "Media Player" "Info
center", "System Settings" "File Manager" etc. while the Name key
contains the actual application name.
So, changing how that stuff is displayed and giving it a generic name
key would probably make everyone happy :)
(KDE could also in theory add a key X-KDE-PreferGenericName to prefer
the GenericName over the Name key in Plasma)

Cheers,
    Matthias

P.S: Sidenote: Could people please add Summary= fields to .desktop
files too? ;-) This is the No1 reason KDE apps are rejected for
inclusion into AppStream at time ;-)