ksplash unified login

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu Jun 9 12:55:53 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 2:25 PM, kainz.a <kainz.a at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi David

>> > is the new sddm theme already in master?
>> Got a "ship it" yesterday, merging now.
>>
>> >about the ksplash theme, the idea was descriped already here
>> https://community.kde.org/KDE_Visual_Design_Group/Unified_Login
>>
>> Where? I can only see bits about
>>

> https://share.kde.org/index.php/s/xxVtPVAEllFaTLd
>

>> ​> we are also working on the logout and user switch dialogue
>> https://share.kde.org/index.php/s/S3wIqd1EqW7YBKK
>>
>> The login screen in that mockup is different. All the buttons and the
>> clock are in a different place. Do you want them moving?
>>

> VDG is alway experiment and change everything asap. NO move at the moment.
> First we need a final product. I don't think that for the login manager
> shutdown would be the first thing you would like to do. But you can see
> here the animation from SDDM to Ksplash and the Desktop. In addition you
> see that we have already something for the user switch and logout dialog.
>

>> Some of that is unfesible. I can't show an animation after you
>> successfully login from SDDM because SDDM quits as soon as it gets a right
>> password. (the image might persist, but I'm not running anymore). and then
>> ksplash doesn't know what SDDM had.
>>

> can you grap the SDDM theme background and the selected user avatar? cause
> the thing is that ksplash was shown for a long time, so we need some tricks
> to motivate the user.
>

> the first trick is when the plasma desktop was started loading (begin of
> ksplash) we show an animation where the user thing he is already in sddm
> (show the sddm background and the user avatar after a while ksplash fade to
> the user plasma background (50 % before ksplash is finished) and than
> ksplash fade to the real desktop where the panels and applets are already
> build and than ksplash show everything is finished.
>
> kspash
> ======
> 1. introduction
>     the pc is finished with Plymount (auto login) or SDDM so the default
> background is the blue gradient and in the center is the distro logo
> (Plymounth) or the user avatar (sddm)

I'll change ksplash to default to the blue gradient, show the avatar and
the spinning thing.

> 2. main part
>     ksplash fade from the plymounth/sddm background to the user desktop
> background at about 40 - 50 % of the overall time.
>
> We can't fade to the user's background.
That assumes the user has a static image for a background, which isn't
something we can assume.

We can fade to Plasma when Plasma is ready showing the desktop background.
Which is exactly what we already do.

> always visible
>    all the time you show the user avatar with an busy animation you can
> chose the busy animation from the linked movies or the easy one from
> plymount. in the text section is written start plasma 5.6.90 (version
> number)
>

>> We can see about changing the fade between ksplash and desktop in time;
>> and changing the logout/shutdown prompts.
>>
>> There is also a huge bug in that mockup. You're showing white text on top
>> of the user's background.
>> If you show a known colour on top of an unknown colour, you're
>> potentially creating something unreadable.
>>

> at the beginning the blue gradient was shown, where you can read the start
> plasma 5.6.90 very good. In addition can we choose the thing from text on
> the desktop like when you move a file on the desktop it must be also
> visible.

So shall I change SDDM theme changed to have the text shadow that
folderview has?

David