New idea for Plasma's logo

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Thu Jun 9 09:49:58 UTC 2016

On 05.06.2016 13:22, Alessandro Longo wrote:

> Il 02-06-2016 20:47 Ken Vermette ha scritto:
>
>> On a side note, like Thomas, I'm a little leery of the fact that
>> you've seemingly bypassed the VDG main channel. I've done stupid
>> things like that too (much more publicly) and I've learned that
>> consulting with peers is important before moving up the chain with an
>> idea.
>
> I didn't bypassed the VDG channel, I sent the email to visual-design mailing
> list, I wanted to discuss there but also make plasma-devel subscribers aware
> of it... (looking into MLs it looks to me a good practice, sorry). Nobody
> replied into visual-design ml... Then Thomas informed me that my email wasn't
> sent into plasma-dev (but it was on visual-design since some days, I'm pretty
> sure about that). So OK if you didn't see that, no problem. But please don't
> say I bypassed VDG. Recently the VDG "officially" said that KDE logo has to be
> replaced by Plasma one (in a bug report iirc) and someone replied that the VDG
> should discuss this with Plasma team, since the topic is really important. So
> I think I did the best thing to use both the mailing lists.

You are right in that you did not "bypass" the VDG (which is why I did not use
that word), because that would imply intent. I know that you did not mean to
bypass anybody. What I do not like is that you at least intended to send the
mail to the VDG and Plasma lists at the same time (and yes, I could have said
that earlier). I know that even that was not with any malicious intent, either.
The problem is just that this created confusion because I know that at least
some people thought that what you presented to the Plasma list had already been
discussed and agreed upon with the VDG. You never said that, but that's
apparently how some people interpreted your email.

So, you did not exactly do anything wrong, but in the future I'd be happy if you
discussed ideas with the rest of the VDG and only posted on dev lists after we
agreed on something (so that this agreed upon VDG suggestion could then receive
dev feedback), just to avoid confusion.

> About the fact the Sun logo looks like a gear if used as icon for kickoff: you
> are totally right, that's why I'd suggest to use a generic icon for kickoff,
> not because of the Sun logo, but because I don't like the tradition to use a
> logo into the product itself (it also makes questions: it should be used the
> DE logo (Plasma one), the community one (KDE logo) or the distribution one?
> That's why I suggest to avoid this decision and simply use a generic "apps"
> icon). If generic "apps" icons will not be used, I totally agree with you that
> the Sun logo shouldn't be used in monochrome as kickoff icon.

You posted a screenshot from your system on Google+ [1] where you use your
proposed logo (although not in monochrome) as a launcher icon. This might have
added to the confusion.

[1]
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/photo/100036546744213767408/6287945369516307842