New idea for Plasma's logo

Alessandro Longo alexl at openmailbox.org
Sun Jun 5 11:22:56 UTC 2016

Il 02-06-2016 20:47 Ken Vermette ha scritto:

> On a side note, like Thomas, I'm a little leery of the fact that
> you've seemingly bypassed the VDG main channel. I've done stupid
> things like that too (much more publicly) and I've learned that
> consulting with peers is important before moving up the chain with an
> idea.

I didn't bypassed the VDG channel, I sent the email to visual-design
mailing list, I wanted to discuss there but also make plasma-devel
subscribers aware of it... (looking into MLs it looks to me a good
practice, sorry). Nobody replied into visual-design ml... Then Thomas
informed me that my email wasn't sent into plasma-dev (but it was on
visual-design since some days, I'm pretty sure about that). So OK if you
didn't see that, no problem. But please don't say I bypassed VDG.
Recently the VDG "officially" said that KDE logo has to be replaced by
Plasma one (in a bug report iirc) and someone replied that the VDG
should discuss this with Plasma team, since the topic is really
important. So I think I did the best thing to use both the mailing
lists.

About the fact the Sun logo looks like a gear if used as icon for
kickoff: you are totally right, that's why I'd suggest to use a generic
icon for kickoff, not because of the Sun logo, but because I don't like
the tradition to use a logo into the product itself (it also makes
questions: it should be used the DE logo (Plasma one), the community one
(KDE logo) or the distribution one? That's why I suggest to avoid this
decision and simply use a generic "apps" icon). If generic "apps" icons
will not be used, I totally agree with you that the Sun logo shouldn't
be used in monochrome as kickoff icon.

Thanks you all for the replies,

--
Alessandro Longo