some feedback from a mobile application development team

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Jan 6 15:34:04 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jan 06, 2016 at 11:14:18AM +0100, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 January 2016, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Therefore what I'd like to see is that when our components are used within
> > Android, they draw the buttons in the top bar (where they are - and that is
> > a research-supported fact - hard to reach, but consistent with other
> > Android applications) but leave edge-swiping as an easier-to-reach
>
> I would like to avoid this, because it would make a divergence between the
> platforms, almost a fork. it's inevitable that a given application will be
> developed and tested overwhelmingly on one platform (to be real, usually
> Android) the more difference there are between how it looks on android and on
> plasma , the more likely will be the application will be just broken on the
> platform it has been tested less

This depends where you are planning to focus on when it comes to
relevance. If you believe that plasma-mobile will be the next Android and
that the next billion devices will run plasma-mobile, then I see your
point. If you want Qt/QML/plasma-mobile to turn into a viable cross
platform toolkit that is primarily used to develop apps for existing OSs,
then better integration with the visual experience of the OS the app is
running on should be a critical requirement.

/D