some feedback from a mobile application development team

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 10:37:48 UTC 2016

On Wednesday 06 January 2016, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Support a "first start" mode for Plasma Mobile Components based apps that
> > demonstrates to the user how things get used. So it shows a see through
> > finger that taps and holds (the pulsing circles around the touch area)
> > the FAB and moves it and the menus show up, and then shows that you
> > could also tap the menu buttons when on Android. It would be nice to
> > have this "first start" mode supported by the tool kit so that not every
> > single app has to implement something along those lines.
>
> You caught us here: Actually, this was our idea all along, we just haven't
> gotten around to design and implement them, yet. My usability tests so far
> also clearly show that this interaction needs a quick introduction. Once I

we have to be really careful with that tough, i never seen a "first time
tutorial" so far that wasn't utterly annoying where the only thing i wanted to
do with it was to find the skip button ;)
I guess there is an art in that too.. games pretty much nailed it, in normal
applications i still didn't see an approach that fully convinces me

> And I also agree that this should be provided by the framework. In Plasma
> Mobile, the tutorial would come up directly on the first start of a new
> device. On Android, it should ideally be shown only the first time that
> any application using our components is used.

hmm, aren't android application really isolated one with another? could a
configuration value be written anywhere where other applications could read
it?

--
Marco Martin