some feedback from a mobile application development team

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 10:29:16 UTC 2016

On Wednesday 06 January 2016, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> Side note: I am not a huge friend of the side swipes being used for the
> drawers. I find swipes a great way to do navigation. There are a bunch of
> email applications where swiping left and right you can move to the
> previous / next item in your mailbox - something that I was hoping to
> adapt on Subsurface-mobile: if you look at the details of a dive, swiping
> sideways will get you to the previous / next dive in your dive list.

that's actually the biggest problem i have with our current swipe to go back,
which i'm really not too sure about. because horizontal swipe is really too
useful for pages to use internally, as this use case shows
(related note, having a different way to go back would also remove the need
for those ugly and hard to reach handles in the list items with actions
underneat)

> > Therefore what I'd like to see is that when our components are used
> > within Android, they draw the buttons in the top bar (where they are -
> > and that is a research-supported fact - hard to reach, but consistent
> > with other Android applications) but leave edge-swiping as an
> > easier-to-reach alternative for _both_ drawers (stock Android apps do it
> > only for the left drawer, which is really nonsensical if you think about
> > it). When the same application is run on Plasma Mobile, where people
> > have learned how to use the Action Button-dragging from other
> > applications, it should use that one.
>
> See my comment above on the edge swiping...
>
> What do you think about this solution instead:
> - on Android, draw the two hard to reach corner menu buttons
just having two little buttons on bottom-left/bottom-right (or top-left/top-
right) should be easy enough, as long as they are pretty much invisible to the
application, so there aren't scenarios in which the application assumes either
the fab or the two buttons are reachable and would break otherwise

> - on any OS, show the FAB with the arrows
the fab can also have a single action associated, so should be shown also when
the application decides to do something when clicked (in that case would just
behave like the similar button already exists on android)

> - allow the application to override the edge swipe functionality

again, i don't think horizontal swipe really conflicts with the edge swipe of
the drawers.. at the moment it's more conflicting with the "horizontal swipe
to go back" behavior

--
Marco Martin