some feedback from a mobile application development team

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Wed Jan 6 20:53:22 UTC 2016

On Dienstag, 5. Januar 2016 18:15:38 CET Dirk Hohndel wrote:

> Wow. I did not realize that. Just tried it and indeed, you are right.
> No conflict, no issue. Cool.

Great! :-)

> I learned something new today :-)

Yeah, it seems Android could use some tutorials, too ;)

> > > What do you think about this solution instead:
> > > - on Android, draw the two hard to reach corner menu buttons
> > > - on any OS, show the FAB with the arrows
> >
> > We could do that, yes.
>
> I think that would really help. Especially in the beginning - until Plasma
> Mobile takes over the world and everyone is used to this behavior and is
> wondering why there are apps that don't use the Action Button in the lower
> center...

Indeed, meeting users where they come from is often a good idea.

> Just promise that you don't go BMW iDrive on us and allow eight different
> directions for the Action Button :-)

Definitely not eight ;) We might come up with an idea for dragging it up one
day, but I don't think any more directions would make sense.

> > And I also agree that this should be provided by the framework. In Plasma
> > Mobile, the tutorial would come up directly on the first start of a new
> > device. On Android, it should ideally be shown only the first time that
> > any application using our components is used.
>
> Not sure how that could be handled on Android, but I'll burn that bridge
> when I get there.

If it's not possible, then users will just have to skip the tutorial in
subsequent apps using our components. Not perfectly elegant, but not really a
problem, either

> > Definitely! We need feedback from people who use our components in the
> > real
> > world. Design must not happen in an ivory tower, which is why I am
> > eternally grateful that you are using our components even in their very
> > early stage and are happy to provide feedback so we can continuously
> > improve them. We really need that!
>
> For Subsurface the huge advantage is that we are getting two things we are
> dearly missing: a) help with figuring out the user interaction design
> (YAY!) and b) help with the QML implementation (since it is becoming very
> clear to me that I still have a HUGE learning curve ahead of me there...)
>
> So this is mutually benefitial :-)

It certainly is! Both from the interaction design perspective and from the
technological perspective.