Selecting a Plasma logo

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Dec 9 00:43:38 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, December 7, 2016 3:51:39 PM UTC Ken Vermette wrote:
> Here's my proposal: we get a form up tomorrow, put it on plasma-devel
> mailing lists. We set the voting deadline to December 23rd midnight, giving
> the vote just over two weeks. That gives us a time to commit the new logo
> to Plasma 5.9 before freeze, and for those of us who celebrate the holidays
> in December we can announce the new logo as a "Present" on Planet KDE.
>
> Does that sound like a plan?

Nope. I have two issues with this:

* We would put an important decision for our branding in the hands of, a
sample of our users, developers, contributors, ...? This doesn't work because
we don't have clear rules who gets to vote in the first place, and then down
the rabbit hole from there. On top of that, I think it's inherently broken to
assign such a decision to a vote. How often have you heard that design by
committee has produced excellent results. You're essentially trying to create
a new process, that's not proven to deliver quality results. We might almost
as well throw dice.

* As Jens said so eloquently, we've wasted enough time on this, a pragmatic
decision is needed. There's hardly any reason at this point to not trust our
proven processes and leave the last word in important design decisions to the
VDG.
--
sebas

Sebastian Kügler    •    http://vizZzion.orghttp://www.kde.org