Selecting a Plasma logo

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Mon Aug 22 23:22:20 UTC 2016

On 22.08.2016 23:59, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> I'll chime in as well.
>
> First of all the main problem I have with this 'searching for the new
> logo' is that we are not really searching for the new Plasma logo, but
> an icon that could replace the k-gear one
Yes, this is indeed a problem. Originally we were looking for a logo, but we
don't think that a logo which is not visible anywhere in the desktop itself has
much of a chance of actually becoming recognized. This is why we're looking for
a logo that would also work as a launcher icon.
That said, logo and launcher icon do not have to be identical, as long as they
share enough so that people can recognize the logo from the icon and vice versa.

The VDG would be fine if we'd look for a logo first and then went on to derive
an icon from that (that was Andy's intention when creating his logo proposal,
btw), but we don't want to choose a new logo if the Plasma team would not be
willing to use an icon which is derived from it as the launcher icon.

[snip]
> I honestly don't think we should rush this for 5.8, we need more ideas.

The downside of not having a new logo with 5.8 is that the LTS would be stuck
with the current situation.
Of course we don't want a logo which the team does not like, either, however.