Selecting a Plasma logo

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Tue Aug 23 07:57:15 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 1:22 AM, Thomas Pfeiffer
> Yes, this is indeed a problem. Originally we were looking for a logo,
> but we don't think that a logo which is not visible anywhere in the
> desktop itself has much of a chance of actually becoming recognized.

I agree.

But if we had planned this from the start, we would be able to do the
contest differently - everyone would be asked to:

 - create the logo with some tagline (like Andy did)
 - put the logo on a shirt for example (the shirt svg would be provided)
 - (optionally) create a derivation of the logo for some special
sprint, for example Plasma at CERN
 - create launcher icons for various sizes that can be different from
the logo, but connected

>> I honestly don't think we should rush this for 5.8, we need more ideas.
>>
> The downside of not having a new logo with 5.8 is that the LTS would be
> stuck with the current situation.

Which is unfortunate, but not that much of a problem IMO - we have
been /stuck/ with the current K-gear icon in the launcher since KDE
1.1 (1999).

On the orther hand, LTS is the culmination of the stabilization work
we have been doing and it should have as few rush-jobs as possible -
it should provide what people are used to modulo the bugs.

Cheers,
Ivan