Plasma 5.8 and openSUSE 42.2

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Aug 5 13:06:52 UTC 2016

On dinsdag 2 augustus 2016 02:35:30 CEST Aleix Pol wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Eike Hein <hein at kde.org> wrote:
> > On 07/28/2016 07:11 PM, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> >> There's also the issue that if we move for one distro we'll end up
> >> with accusations of favouratism and requests for moving for other
> >> distros.  But then maybe we do like openSUSE :)
> >
> > I think it'd show we care about getting shipped and try to work
> > with people - on a case by case basis. If you ship KDE to tons of
> > our users, we'll try to work well with you, too.
>
> With the added value that it's in our best interest that any
> distribution users are on maintained versions of our software. If
> opensuse 42.2 is released right before our release it means that their
> Plasma will be supported for about a month if at all (in contrast to
> the 18 months of Plasma 5.8).

I agree with this. It's very valuable to have one of our major shippers on
LTS, instead of the version just before (but at that point already pretty much
unsupported).

Given that we postponed bigger changes until after the LTS, the risk of doing
this should be manageable.

So +1 from my side.

Also, I'd like to take Akademy as an opportunity to talk release rhythms. The
current 3 monthly schedule has been picked after 5.0 when we wanted to do
quick follow-up releases. I think the situation has changed enough to revisit
this.

Maybe we should put more emphasis on the LTS release, do this regularly
(perhaps once a year), and ship stable, but feature releases more often. We
may or may not ship these with bugfix updates. Food for thought.

sebas

Sebastian Kügler    •    http://vizZzion.orghttp://www.kde.org