Plasma 5.8 and openSUSE 42.2

Antonio Larrosa alarrosa at suse.de
Fri Aug 12 16:26:51 UTC 2016

On 05/08/16 15:06, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On dinsdag 2 augustus 2016 02:35:30 CEST Aleix Pol wrote:
>>>
>>> I think it'd show we care about getting shipped and try to work
>>> with people - on a case by case basis. If you ship KDE to tons of
>>> our users, we'll try to work well with you, too.
>>
>> With the added value that it's in our best interest that any
>> distribution users are on maintained versions of our software. If
>> opensuse 42.2 is released right before our release it means that their
>> Plasma will be supported for about a month if at all (in contrast to
>> the 18 months of Plasma 5.8).
>
> I agree with this. It's very valuable to have one of our major shippers on
> LTS, instead of the version just before (but at that point already pretty much
> unsupported).
>
> Given that we postponed bigger changes until after the LTS, the risk of doing
> this should be manageable.
>
> So +1 from my side.

Great. I would say everyone agreed, isn't it? Who has to officially
approve the change?

> Also, I'd like to take Akademy as an opportunity to talk release rhythms. The
> current 3 monthly schedule has been picked after 5.0 when we wanted to do
> quick follow-up releases. I think the situation has changed enough to revisit
> this.

I agree. I hope to be able to attend those talks if they're public.

> Maybe we should put more emphasis on the LTS release, do this regularly
> (perhaps once a year), and ship stable, but feature releases more often. We
> may or may not ship these with bugfix updates. Food for thought.

That would be very nice. Every year, or as a minimum, make the last
release before each LTS lifecyle ends be a new LTS release.

Greetings,

--
Antonio Larrosa