appstream in Plasma

Alexander Potashev aspotashev at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 20:28:17 UTC 2016

Martin,

Thanks for your reply. Please see my comments below.

> On Thursday, April 7, 2016 4:37:14 PM CEST Alexander Potashev wrote:
>> > system settings is a workspace configuration tool. I don't see how that is
>> > useful to anyone not using Plasma
>>
>> Martin,
>>
>> One can use System Settings to start KCMs that are not related to Plasma:
>>  - Localization,
>
> you should use your desktops configuration tool instead. No need to use a
> Plasma one.

What if
 1. I don't use a desktop environment, but I need a way to setup
localization for KDE applications?
 2. I have GNOME installed, but can't figure out how to use its tools?
The way out from this situation is that I install systemsettings5 and
use it to configure localization while in a GNOME shell session.

>>  - Akonadi,
>
> Erm no. I just did a search for Akonadi in systemsettings and it returns
> nothing. Even if it were in systemsettings it would be wrong. That needs to be
> offered from the applications.

Please search for "PIM Accounts and Resources" in systemsettings.

>>  - Baloo,
>
> Use the DEs search tool

What if I want to use Dolphin? It only integrates with Baloo, thus I'm
forced to use it. Editing baloorc is not very user-friendly.

>>  - systemd
>
> There is no such thing as a systemd kcm in systemsettings

Please see https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=systemd-kcm.git
You can install it and find it in systemsettings root menu.

>> and many more.
>
> and for them there is kcmshell5.
>
> If there is anything in systemsettings which makes sense outside of Plasma, it
> means it's wrong in systemsettings or lacking a proper way to configure from
> the application.

So the workflow in this case would be to
 1. Run "kcmshell5 --list" to see the list of available KCM,
 2. Run e.g. "kcmshell5 kcm_baloofile".
Did I get you right?

Then how do I search KCMs by keywords? kcmshell5 does not seem to
provide this functionality. Am I supposed to run "grep PIM
/usr/share/kservices5/kcm*.desktop" to perform such a search?

Is your vision that writing third-party KCMs should be forbidden? (By
"third-party" I mean those that are not released as part of Plasma.)

--
Alexander Potashev