appstream in Plasma

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Apr 7 14:24:36 UTC 2016

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 4:37:14 PM CEST Alexander Potashev wrote:
> > system settings is a workspace configuration tool. I don't see how that is
> > useful to anyone not using Plasma
>
> Martin,
>
> One can use System Settings to start KCMs that are not related to Plasma:
>  - Localization,

you should use your desktops configuration tool instead. No need to use a
Plasma one.

>  - Akonadi,

Erm no. I just did a search for Akonadi in systemsettings and it returns
nothing. Even if it were in systemsettings it would be wrong. That needs to be
offered from the applications.

>  - Baloo,

Use the DEs search tool

>  - systemd

There is no such thing as a systemd kcm in systemsettings

> and many more.

and for them there is kcmshell5.

If there is anything in systemsettings which makes sense outside of Plasma, it
means it's wrong in systemsettings or lacking a proper way to configure from
the application.

Cheers
Martin