appstream in Plasma

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Apr 8 05:55:41 UTC 2016

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 11:28:17 PM CEST Alexander Potashev wrote:
> Martin,
>
> Thanks for your reply. Please see my comments below.

> >> Martin,
> >>
> >> One can use System Settings to start KCMs that are not related to Plasma:
> >>  - Localization,
> >
> > you should use your desktops configuration tool instead. No need to use a
> > Plasma one.
>
> What if
>  1. I don't use a desktop environment, but I need a way to setup
> localization for KDE applications?

Ever heard of setting the LC_LANG env variables? Yes, nowadays KDE
applications use the standard Linux way for localization and not a custom
thing where one needs a special configuration module.

>  2. I have GNOME installed, but can't figure out how to use its tools?
> The way out from this situation is that I install systemsettings5 and
> use it to configure localization while in a GNOME shell session.

Report a bug against GNOME then, if their software is unusable.

> >>  - Akonadi,
> >
> > Erm no. I just did a search for Akonadi in systemsettings and it returns
> > nothing. Even if it were in systemsettings it would be wrong. That needs
> > to be offered from the applications.
>
> Please search for "PIM Accounts and Resources" in systemsettings.

doesn't exist on my system.

> >>  - Baloo,
> >
> > Use the DEs search tool
>
> What if I want to use Dolphin? It only integrates with Baloo, thus I'm
> forced to use it. Editing baloorc is not very user-friendly.

Then dolphin needs to make the baloo configuration accessible. Expecting users
to know that they need to install systemsettings is no solution.

> >>  - systemd
> >
> > There is no such thing as a systemd kcm in systemsettings
>
> Please see https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=systemd-kcm.git
> You can install it and find it in systemsettings root menu.

3rd party modules are not a reason for us to do things.

> >> and many more.
> >
> > and for them there is kcmshell5.
> >
> > If there is anything in systemsettings which makes sense outside of
> > Plasma, it means it's wrong in systemsettings or lacking a proper way to
> > configure from the application.
>
> So the workflow in this case would be to
>  1. Run "kcmshell5 --list" to see the list of available KCM,
>  2. Run e.g. "kcmshell5 kcm_baloofile".
> Did I get you right?

If that's something which is useful for Dolphin and needed from Dolphin,
Dolphin should have a configure desktop search which does that.

> Then how do I search KCMs by keywords? kcmshell5 does not seem to
> provide this functionality. Am I supposed to run "grep PIM
> /usr/share/kservices5/kcm*.desktop" to perform such a search?

Use the launcher of your DE to run them? What do I care. Exposing
systemsettings is not the solution to that problem.

> Is your vision that writing third-party KCMs should be forbidden? (By
> "third-party" I mean those that are not released as part of Plasma.)

Everybody is free to write 3rd party KCMs to integrate with Plasma. But it's
no reason to make Plasma applications available to non-Plasma users.

To make it clear: we care here about the Plasma workflows and a good
integration of Plasma inside Plasma. You are free to use Plasma tools outside
Plasma, but that is not what we aim for. If you want to use systemsettings
outside of Plasma: do so! But that doesn't mean that we want to expose
systemsettings to non-Plasma users. Just like we don't want GNOME's settings
tool exposed to Plasma users.

Cheers
Martin