sddm product in bugzilla?

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Mon Oct 12 09:10:47 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 8:40 AM, Martin Steigerwald <martin at lichtvoll.de>
wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I know that sddm upstream is not a KDE project, but still I wondered as I
> reported issue #509 and #510¹, which are clearly things where sddm
> regresses
> in terms of features in comparison with the former standard display manager
> for Plasma kdm, at least whether to allow reporting issues with it also in
> bugs.kde.org for Plasma users?
>
> Or even invite the sddm project to be hosted on the KDE infrastructure
> while
> of course still allowing it to support other desktop environments and be
> independent in its development? I also wonder about this, cause a clear
> Plasma
> only component sddm-kcm is also hosted with github.com.

That part with the KCM isn't true anymore. That got moved and adopted into
KDE about 12 months ago for Plasma 5.1.
Bugzilla component is there for that too. (systemsettings -> kcm_sddm)

> What is your idea about this?

> I am thinking about similar lines like with the general github.com as a
> mirror
> discussion. Of course, I think it neither makes sense to fork sddm or
> hijack
> it into KDE infrastructure in case upstream developers don´t want to
> develop
> it there. So I clearly see this as a special case as its a separate
> upstream
> project.
>

> I bet some people could be confused on how to report issues when they do
> not
> find the component in our bugzilla. My expectation so far was: If its
> Plasma,
> I report it with bugs.kde.org and it would be a bit difficult to explain
> users, this is not Plasma, this you report there and if you go further
> also,
> this is also not Plasma and you need to report there, with always creating
> an
> account there, cause you cannot reuse the KDE one. Of course when people
> report bugs regarding sddm in bugs.kde.org upstream probably does not
> notice.

I don't think SDDM should be considered "part of Plasma" any more so than
any other 3rd party dependency is simply because the precursor was.
It'd be like adopting bugs with pulseaudio because we used to have artsd.

> But on the other hand do Plasma developers monitor sddm issues on
> github.com
> for those reported by Plasma users?

I do. Though technically with a different hat on.

David