sddm product in bugzilla?

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Mon Oct 12 07:40:58 UTC 2015

Hello!

I know that sddm upstream is not a KDE project, but still I wondered as I
reported issue #509 and #510¹, which are clearly things where sddm regresses
in terms of features in comparison with the former standard display manager
for Plasma kdm, at least whether to allow reporting issues with it also in
bugs.kde.org for Plasma users?

Or even invite the sddm project to be hosted on the KDE infrastructure while
of course still allowing it to support other desktop environments and be
independent in its development? I also wonder about this, cause a clear Plasma
only component sddm-kcm is also hosted with github.com.

What is your idea about this?

I am thinking about similar lines like with the general github.com as a mirror
discussion. Of course, I think it neither makes sense to fork sddm or hijack
it into KDE infrastructure in case upstream developers don´t want to develop
it there. So I clearly see this as a special case as its a separate upstream
project.

I bet some people could be confused on how to report issues when they do not
find the component in our bugzilla. My expectation so far was: If its Plasma,
I report it with bugs.kde.org and it would be a bit difficult to explain to
users, this is not Plasma, this you report there and if you go further also,
this is also not Plasma and you need to report there, with always creating an
account there, cause you cannot reuse the KDE one. Of course when people
report bugs regarding sddm in bugs.kde.org upstream probably does not notice.
But on the other hand do Plasma developers monitor sddm issues on github.com
for those reported by Plasma users?

And the kcm is Plasma only technology. At least for this one I think hosting
on KDE infrastructure makes some sense.

[1] https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/509 (and 510 for the other)

Ciao,
--