Plasma 5 is awesome...and some help required with build instructions

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Sat Mar 28 14:53:10 UTC 2015

Cool, definitely much needed .Thanks.

Review comments

--

I don't think we should tell people to download's  David Faure's
kdesrc-buildrc file. It has "/d" hardcoded a lot.

If we make our own we don't need people to change it and can have the same
directories you use for the rest of this.

--

That's installing to /opt/kde5 but we need to create those directories
first (as root and change permissions)

--

If this is about plasma change:

include extragear/utils/kdesrc-build/kf5-qt5-build-include

include extragear/utils/kdesrc-build/kf5-frameworks-build-include
include extragear/utils/kdesrc-build/kf5-workspace-build-include

this way you won't build apps and pim

--

export XDG_CACHE_HOME=/home/user/.kde5/cache

only works if you happen to be called user.
I'm pretty sure you can do export XDG_CACHE_HOME=$HOME/.whatever

Personally I wouldn't change the paths, you lose your firefox settings, and
with the .xinitrc hack later you're only going to be loading this session
from now on anyway.

--

The setup is a bit broken, if you do the login manager way.
yet if you log into your distro session and then start anything dbus

--

you need to say login manager way and the .xinit way are mutually exclusive
(well you can do both, but it'd be weird)

--

add a line saying to log out and back in.