Plasma 5 is awesome...and some help required with build instructions

Siddhartha sh.siddhartha at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 18:23:17 UTC 2015

Hi David,

Thanks a lot for your comments!

On 28 March 2015 at 20:23, David Edmundson <david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:
> I don't think we should tell people to download's  David Faure's
> kdesrc-buildrc file. It has "/d" hardcoded a lot.
>
> If we make our own we don't need people to change it and can have the same
> directories you use for the rest of this.

Good point. I took this section from Frameworks/Building, didn't think
too much :P
Maybe we should update that page too?

> That's installing to /opt/kde5 but we need to create those directories first
> (as root and change permissions)

Instructions already present :)

> If this is about plasma change:
>
> include extragear/utils/kdesrc-build/kf5-qt5-build-include

> include extragear/utils/kdesrc-build/kf5-frameworks-build-include
> include extragear/utils/kdesrc-build/kf5-workspace-build-include
>
> this way you won't build apps and pim

Cool. Changed the whole section.

> export XDG_CACHE_HOME=/home/user/.kde5/cache
>
> only works if you happen to be called user.
> I'm pretty sure you can do export XDG_CACHE_HOME=$HOME/.whatever

Ah right, fixed.

> Personally I wouldn't change the paths, you lose your firefox settings, and
> with the .xinitrc hack later you're only going to be loading this session
> from now on anyway.

Hmm. I preferred having clean Plasma 5 config paths. These lines are
now commented out by default.

> The setup is a bit broken, if you do the login manager way.
> yet if you log into your distro session and then start anything dbus
> activated it will load from /opt/kde/install which is at best a bit weird.

Ah right. But logging in to a Plasma 4 seemed to work fine. Ideally
one should remove the dbus config before starting the distro session,
yes.

> you need to say login manager way and the .xinit way are mutually exclusive
> (well you can do both, but it'd be weird)

Done.

> add a line saying to log out and back in.

Done

Cheers!