baloo monitor visibility

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Fri Jul 17 08:32:35 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 10:39 AM, Pinak Ahuja <pinak.ahuja at gmail.com> wrote:
> In fact I'm working on a plasmoid with the monitor's functionality, which
> will show up in the tray. Maybe we can hide the monitor from applications
> and add a button to plasmoid? i.e. if we do end up shipping the plasmoid.

I think that would give it much more context, so that'd be cool.

Mark and Martin do have a point in that it potentially being valuable
without context though (such as when run from krunner by someone who
knows what it does). I am not sure having it completely standalone is
necessarily the way to go about this though. In particular I'd much
rather have it be a KCM in ksysguard as it is a diagnostic tool for
all intents and purposes (or kinfocenter... or fold it into the
regular baloo KCM?).
The one and only problem I have with the tool being in the menu is
that it lacks any sort of context and at least to me file search is
part of the workspace at large, so it being listed as a utility feels
a lot like if for example the plasma wallpaper configuration was
listed there.

Perhaps you could ask the visual design group for some input on this?

HS