on review process again.. phabricator?

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 14:34:59 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 3:48 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> writing about this now since it's nearing Akademy, it may be a good time
> and
> place to discuss.
>
> last year at akademy we tried to put plasma-framework on gerrit, in order
> have a more formal, always review first policy in plasma-framework.
> i think was partly a success, I see moresmall changes going on review all
> around, still not perfect, but good! :)
>
> what was less of a success? Gerrit itself!
> What happened is that we have slowly got back to review board for plasma-
> framework as well, there never was a formal decision but just happened,
> gerrit
> UI is just too bad, even the core team struggles with it, and is an
> absolute
> put off for newcomers.

Fwiw, speaking as someone with one-two patches to p-f in month(s), I went
to review board simply because I always forgot there's gerrit. Furthermore,
my patches to p-f were usually parts needed for other patches in
plasma-workspace/-desktop which went to review board, so that plus the fact
that I post 99% of patches to review board made it kinda natural process to
post to review board rather than gerrit, wasn't exactly a conscious decision
(for any reason, be it UI or...) on my side.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer