RFC: Use Grid as default for KWin's Presnt windows effect

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 11:12:07 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 6:35 PM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:

> > Also what exactly does suck about it?
>
> The problems with the non natural layouts are various, e.g.:
> * windows might get too small as all windows have same size

I believe that's not really a problem, see the screenshot I posted above
with 16 windows.
I have no data for this claim, but I don't think that many people actually
have more than 10
windows opened at once? And there's the label.

I actually find the windows in Natural to be sometimes even smaller.

> * windows might move to a bad position, e.g. a window from the top left
> goes
> to bottom right

Hmm...that might be an issue for some, yes. Personally I've never associated
the window position on screen with the position of the window in the effect.
Perhaps because I never really got to see the zoom out animation (all my
systems
were always with binary nvidia and there the animation is just 0.5s freeze)
and so the visual clue was broken. Dunno.

> The natural layout tries to optimize that by using an algorithm using size
> and
> position as reference. The downside is that the layout might appear to be
> random. But so would a movement all across the screen look random.

I do dare to say that I don't understand this algorithm at all and I
believe so do
other people. The advantage of the grid would be that the all windows are
presented in a uniform and consistent form, even if the sorting is
random/not ideal.

In this case, imo the looks outweight the negative of the grid as you get
the same
(moreless) negatives in the Natural look.

Do you have a link to the VDG thread btw?

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer