RFC: Use Grid as default for KWin's Presnt windows effect

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Jan 10 17:35:03 UTC 2015

On Saturday 10 January 2015 17:54:34 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 4:31 PM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> > -2
> >
> > The reason for the natural layout is that the other layout sucks. That was
> > what we shipped with in 4.0 and 4.1. Let's learn from history and don't
> > repeat
> > it .
>
> What was the history? I was not around at that time. Is there a thread
> somewhere?

It's years ago (2008 or 2009). I don't know whether there was a thread about
it or whether there was IRC discussion or bug reports.

> Also what exactly does suck about it?

The problems with the non natural layouts are various, e.g.:
* windows might get too small as all windows have same size
* windows might move to a bad position, e.g. a window from the top left goes
to bottom right

The natural layout tries to optimize that by using an algorithm using size and
position as reference. The downside is that the layout might appear to be
random. But so would a movement all across the screen look random.

> Can it be improved without a full
> rewrite?

It needs a full rewrite no matter what :-)

Cheers
Martin