Papercuts from review at sprint

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Feb 26 15:01:57 UTC 2015

On Thursday, February 26, 2015 08:30:46 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 February 2015 18:45:27 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > On Monday, February 23, 2015 08:00:40 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > > On Saturday 21 February 2015 17:56:38 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > >

> > > The button is only shown if the window provides context help. So it is
> > > already  quite conditionally. Where is that a problem?
> >

> > We took the note when looking at systemsettings. The overview page gets
> > the
> > question mark in the toolbar, yet when I hover with the ? cursor, context
> > help is nowhere to be found.
> >

> > I guess that's one example, there may be others. It made us question the
> > usefulness of that question mark button in the window decoration.
>
> To explain how this works: the question mark is shown in the window
> decoration  when the window signals that it supports the "provides context
> help" mode. The window decoration cannot know whether there is something
> actually providing it. So if it's wrongly shown this means fixing in the
> application.
>
> But the complete feature is questionably as it's a non-standard protocol
> between Qt and KWin. To my knowledge no other window manager supports it
> and  no other toolkit supports it. Which means that it's a dangerous
> feature to put help into in a cross-desktop application.

So we'd have to gauge its usefulness overall, and see if it makes sense. Are
there any apps which really use it, i.e. also provide whatsthis hints
consistently?

Otherwise, perhaps we should review those apps that request the "?", and in
case it's nonsensical (such as in systemsettings), remove it.

Do you know how to find this "provides context help" API?
--
sebas