Papercuts from review at sprint

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Feb 26 07:30:46 UTC 2015

On Wednesday 25 February 2015 18:45:27 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Monday, February 23, 2015 08:00:40 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > On Saturday 21 February 2015 17:56:38 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > > * Whatsthis (?) button in the window decoration is almost never used
> > > (can
> > > this button be either hidden, or shown conditionally)
> >
> > The button is only shown if the window provides context help. So it is
> > already  quite conditionally. Where is that a problem?
>
> We took the note when looking at systemsettings. The overview page gets the
> question mark in the toolbar, yet when I hover with the ? cursor, context
> help is nowhere to be found.
>
> I guess that's one example, there may be others. It made us question the
> usefulness of that question mark button in the window decoration.

To explain how this works: the question mark is shown in the window decoration
when the window signals that it supports the "provides context help" mode. The
window decoration cannot know whether there is something actually providing
it. So if it's wrongly shown this means fixing in the application.

But the complete feature is questionably as it's a non-standard protocol
between Qt and KWin. To my knowledge no other window manager supports it and
no other toolkit supports it. Which means that it's a dangerous feature to put
help into in a cross-desktop application.

Cheers
Martin