Noto fonts screw my system, please stop forcing fonts upon me!

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 13:43:52 UTC 2015

On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 1:41 PM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:

> Let me step in here.
>
> On Friday, December 18, 2015 00:42:50 Mark Gaiser wrote:
> > If i report font issues, nobody is looking at them anyway. See [1] for
> > oxygen.
>
> Mark,
>
> That's a hurtful accusation, and it's not the first time you stray way out
> of
> line in this thread.  Before you learn to do better than that, you have no
> place on this list.
>
> This is the time where you should take a long walk, think about how to work
> with other developers in a respectful way and perhaps re-read the manifesto
> critically and compare it to your actual behaviour.
>
> I, and a few others are fed up with the behaviour you are exposing. Please
> consider yourself not welcome until that has changed significantly and
> you've
> learnt to contribute something to Plasma in a meaningful way, along with
> established standards how we interact.

That's not harmful, just a fact.

I've:
- been constructive
- pointed out exactly where the issue is and what is wrong
- showed screenshots pointing it out even more clearly (since some people
apparently just don't get it)
- searched for dozens of solutions
- etc...

It is an issue, but doesn't seem to be recognized by the plasma team
(besides Marco).
That is harmful!

I'm very pesky when it comes to visual details. I can't stand things that
are inconsistent or slightly off. If i have this issue on two installations
(one not even using Plasma, just installed frameworkintegration to prove my
case) then a lot more people will run into this as well. It should be
something you - specially you with the font based scaling - care about and
would like to resolve.

Wasn't there a paper cut project? Going the last mile? Making plasma just
that more polished that it really feels like a well developed and pleasure
to use desktop environment?

It certainly was on it's way to do just that (this is a compliment!). I saw
improvements and things really are getting better all the time, see another
compliment.

As for re-reading the code of conduct or manifesto. I have better things to
do.