Noto fonts screw my system, please stop forcing fonts upon me!

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 08:26:20 UTC 2015

Op 18 dec. 2015 2:48 a.m. schreef "Martin Klapetek" <
martin.klapetek at gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Dec 17, 2015 at 7:47 PM, Mark Gaiser <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> Frameworkintegration is hereby forked [1].
>>
>> I will keep this one in sync with frameworkintegration as it is on the
kde servers, but obviously without those fonts.
>> Once Noto starts to work normally the fork can die.
>>
>> I do this because i do not want one more desktop breakage that is caused
by fonts installed by that package, and this seems to be the easiest way to
accomplish that.

>> Don't get me wrong, i don't like to fork anything and have never done so
before.
>> But i have a real issue that i want to get solved. Solving it "upstream"
doesn't seem likely, so forking it is the only way.
>> The other way was how i did it before, remove the fonts when i notice
that they had been installed again, but that can slip through and cause
days of irritation.
>> Now i just make my own archlinux packages and blacklist the default
frameworkintegration, that should do the job for me.

>> [1] https://github.com/markg85/frameworkintegration
>

> Man...I'm honestly just stunned at how childish this is.
>
> If you perhaps for a second try to acknowledge that you might
> have a local system issue instead of covering your ears and
> kicking&screaming, we're happy to help you figure it out. In the
> meantime, good luck with your demonstrative endeavor I guess.
>
> PS: I was able to change my system font in under 8 seconds
> using system settings. Seriously, what's the deal even...

.. Let me repeat myself again. Maybe that way you can somewhat see why I
did this.

I tried reverting all possible font settings (and I did). Removing the
global and local font configuration files and reinstalling the package that
provide it. That did not work.

I tried the above + a brand new clean user (with no previous config), that
did not work.

I tried reverting packages (mainly chrome and freetype since it had some
big changes recently). That did not work. Everything stayed roughly the
same. I say roughly because reverting the freetype library did change it
slightly, but that's because the new freetype release includes quite big
changes.

I tried irc, discuss it there to see if the issue was known and how I could
solve it. Didn't help.

I searched for bug reports against chrome (since it mainly occurs there for
me). I did found some, but they could hardly be related since it was years
old. I only had it for days and I tent to stay very updated.

I tried asking the arch devs to adjust the frameworkintegration package to
not install the font packages. They say if its a bug that needs to be fixed
upstream, not worked around. I agree with that, but that doesn't resolve my
issue.

It is most definitely not my system configuration anymore, Martin. The only
thing I can do to rule out everything on my system is reinstalling it
completely. I won't do that just for a font!

I'm out of options here! I don't like forking (as I said before) but I just
see no other way to solve this in a somewhat stable manner for me. Let me
add this yet again since it seems to be overlooked over and over. Just
having the font installed (not configured) gives me these issues.