Breeze-icons and Plasma Breeze-theme-icons

kainz.a kainz.a at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 12:47:44 UTC 2015

Thanks for the replay

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 10:24 AM, kainz.a <kainz.a at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Ok I would prefere to have the icons at one place because Uri and I do a
>> lot of work that the right icon in the right SIZE is available for the
>> application in the screenshot you see toolbar icons (22px) for the widgets
>> (64px) and this lack.
>>
>> if something is using the "wrong" icon, please open a bug /email pointing
> to the misuse and the name of what icon should be used instead, and that
> case will be fixed within hours.

I will make bug reports and I will learn to fix it myself and push it to
reviewboard. Sometimes we have to make new icons in the right category with
a new name so it could happen that you have to update kde:breeze where the
icons are to get the new icons. but before an release everything would be
fine.

> From our code we just write iconName = "activities" or something, and
> there's no indication of whether it's meant to be used for a toolbar or
> what without a visual check.  There is a folder structure in the icon set,
> but when we write this we can't see it. Not helped that it seems to have
> changed over the last 5 years.

I was yesterday the first time in the source and saw that you don't get an
information about the icon "Type". The VDG discuss the plasmoid icons
yesterday and the result was to make colored app icons (64px) for all
plasmoids so an plasmoid is from our point of view the same than an
application. What we would suggest is that the plasmoid icons get an prefix
like plasmoid-xxx like the preferences-xxx icons for system settings.

>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1642456/VDG/KF5/PlasmaDark_BreezeLight.png
>>
>> In addition there is one problem. Cause you can use breeze-light icons in
>> breeze-dark plasma you can't see the icons because the light breeze icons
>> are not realy visible on the dark plasma theme. I don't have an solution
>> for that maybe the see also section in the system settings (future) can
>> help.
>>

> So in the current state:
>  - Plasma icons get recoloured
>  - normal icons do not
>
> Our icons come from both places
>
> If a user has a light applications theme and a dark plasma theme, they get
> screwed.
>
> Our options are:
>
> We make the the icon theme a property of the Plasma theme?
>  - Arguably within the colors file, so it can change in multiple
> colorscopes
>
> We make you guys put all icons ever possibly used by Plasma inside the
> plasma repo which does the colour hinting
>  (and fix all apples to actually use Plasma.IconItem in all cases - never
> QIconItem, which some places currently do)
>
>  Put the colour hinting into the Breeze icon set in breeze; and have a
> custom QIconLoader used by the Plasma case to do the hinting whilst loading
> it from the same directory as everything else.

most of the problems with breeze is that the icons are monochrome and the
user get in trouble when the contrast is bad. It would be really nice to
find an soulution that not only plasma can recolour the icons also the
application could. This would be a BIG visual benefit for the user. So if
it would be possible tell me what I have to do.

https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=285&t=127663&start=60#p340602
http://wstaw.org/m/2015/08/28/colorize-icons.png

Thanks
Andreas