Breeze-icons and Plasma Breeze-theme-icons

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Fri Aug 28 12:31:13 UTC 2015

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 10:24 AM, kainz.a <kainz.a at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok I would prefere to have the icons at one place because Uri and I do a
> lot of work that the right icon in the right SIZE is available for the
> application in the screenshot you see toolbar icons (22px) for the widgets
> (64px) and this lack.
>
> if something is using the "wrong" icon, please open a bug /email pointing
to the misuse and the name of what icon should be used instead, and that
case will be fixed within hours.

>From our code we just write iconName = "activities" or something, and
there's no indication of whether it's meant to be used for a toolbar or
what without a visual check.  There is a folder structure in the icon set,
but when we write this we can't see it. Not helped that it seems to have
changed over the last 5 years.

> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1642456/VDG/KF5/PlasmaDark_BreezeLight.png
>
> In addition there is one problem. Cause you can use breeze-light icons in
> breeze-dark plasma you can't see the icons because the light breeze icons
> are not realy visible on the dark plasma theme. I don't have an solution
> for that maybe the see also section in the system settings (future) can
> help.

So in the current state:
 - Plasma icons get recoloured
 - normal icons do not

Our icons come from both places

If a user has a light applications theme and a dark plasma theme, they get
screwed.

Our options are:

We make the the icon theme a property of the Plasma theme?
 - Arguably within the colors file, so it can change in multiple colorscopes

We make you guys put all icons ever possibly used by Plasma inside the
plasma repo which does the colour hinting
 (and fix all apples to actually use Plasma.IconItem in all cases - never
QIconItem, which some places currently do)

 Put the colour hinting into the Breeze icon set in breeze; and have a
custom QIconLoader used by the Plasma case to do the hinting whilst loading
it from the same directory as everything else.

David